Week 4 (July 26 - August 1)

Today marks the exact half way point of my trip. I left Vancouver 4 weeks ago and I will be home in 4 weeks. In some ways it feels like I have been gone a long time, but in other ways it's hard to believe that I am already half way through my secondment.

This week has been busy. Monday-Wednesday was uneventful, but Thursday night I went out for Indian food with Jeff and Bart in Northbridge. We had a good meal and then went to a couple of bars with live music. Friday night we went for Friday drinks and then the group split up. The guys went out with work people, and the girls and I went for dinner. Ashley had been given a recommendation for a wine bar north of the city, so we checked it out. The place was called 'Must' and it was really good. Small portions, but the prices were quite reasonable. I had a prawn and cheese soufflé which was fantastic. I skipped on dessert (the other girls shared a chocolate dish) but I had a nice dessert wine. Afterwards we went across the street to another bar for a drink. We then split up. I went back downtown and met the guys, Ash and Brandy went home and Sarah went to a house party. I had a fun night. We went to a few places and went dancing and it was fun. The night ended at the kabob shop; here in Australia after the bar, people don't go for pizza, people go for kabobs. Kabob shops are everywhere and they are very good.

When I got home Friday night i tried to have a shower, but couldn't get the hot water working. I was tired and gave up, but when I got up on Saturday it still wasn't working. We don't have a hot water tank in the unit so we figured that its probably not working in the entire building.

So after sleeping in on Saturday and being unsuccessful at the shower, I met up with Brandy and Sarah after noon to go to Fremantle for some shopping. We had lunch and walked around the shops. It was a beautiful sunny day. I didn't really buy anything. Late afternoon we we to a microbrewery called 'little creatures' which is on the pier at Fremantle. Jeff, Bart, a friend from work and her husband came and met us. Little creatures was great. Good setting, good vibe, good food and good beer.

Ash didn't go, so I messaged her around 9pm to see about the hot water. No dice. Still no hot water. So when we took the train back to Perth from Freo I went over to the building where Jeff, Bart, Sarah and Brandy lice so that i could take a hot shower. By the time I was done it was late so I slept on the couch there.

This morning we got up early and took a ferry to Rottnest island, which is an island 25 minutes off the coast from Freo. The ferry took about 1.75 hours because we made a few stops. When we got to Rotto we rented bikes. There are no cars on the island, so bike is the best way to get around. The island is gorgeous! White sand beaches and turquoise waters. We rode along and stopped at different places. I didn't swim because the water was a little chilly, but we wadded in and it was nice.

Rottnest translates literally to "rats nest" in Dutch. In the 18th century when the Dutch first arrived on the island they thought it was over run by giant rats, and therefore called it a rats nest. Turns out, what they thought were rats were actually quakkas; kind of like a miniature kangaroo. They are supposed to be abundant on the island, but we spent all morning looking for one without luck. It was at the end of the ride when we got back into the town that we started seeing them. Everywhere. Sort of rat like, but not really. Much more like a little kangaroo. Kind of cute.

3 of us had a late lunch at a hotel restaurant and bar. The weather was beautiful so we sat outside and it was nice. Before the food came, I got up to go to the bathroom when I caught a glimpse of an animal in the corner of my eye. I was shocked when I discovered it was a peacock!!! He was roaming around the restaurant just like the seagulls looking for food. It was awesome.

We got the 4pm ferry back and I am exhausted. I guess sleeping on the couch last night and then riding bikes for 4 hours was not the best plan. I think we are all going to be sore tomorrow. Rotto was more hilly than i had anticipated.

It's 8pm now and it's going to be an early night. Pictures will be posted tomorrow.

Siobhan

Location:Perth

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turkey and Greece

Cape Town

'Merica