Australian Terms and Differences

Now that I have been here a few months, I thought I would put together a list of some of the terms and expressions that are very commonly used in Australia, but not at home. There are lots of different slang words that I’ve come across, but the ones listed below are the ones commonly used in everyday conversation. I find myself using some of these expressions more and more. When I do, I feel like a bit of an imposter, but it’s not intentional. When you hear everyone saying the same things all the time, you can’t help but pick it up.

Also thought I would share a few “cultural” differences; things that I wouldn’t even think twice about at home, but that are different here.

Terms and Expressions
1. “Flick” – As in: to flick an email (instead of “send an email” or “forward an email”). For example: “I’ll flick you the email I got yesterday,” or, “Can you flick me those instructions?”

2. “Mate” – Before I moved here, I thought this was just an Australian stereotype (like the way everyone thinks Canadians say “eh”). However, its not a stereotype, the Aussies really do use this term all the time….especially men. Here is an example of the typical phone conversation I overhear about 5 times a day:
“Hey mate, how ya going?......... Look mate, was just wondering if you could flick that email over to me?....... right…… great, thanks mate.”
Also falling into the category of “not just a stereotype” includes: I reckon, right, and heaps.

3. “How ya going” – I have found that I am now saying this a lot. Its used instead of “how you doing?” or “how’s it going” or “how are you.” I think I like it because it encompasses all of the above expressions.

4. “Pretty average” – Yes, I know we use ‘average’ at home, but the Aussies use it a bit differently. Where we would use it to describe something that was so-so (or alright), the Australians use it as an optimistic way to describe something quite bad. For example, when describing something a meal that was a bit dodgy (see point 5), one might say, “that meal was pretty average.” Likewise, if the local sports team didn’t play well, you might say, “that was a pretty average performance.”

5. “Dodgy” – Used in place of “sketchy” or “shady,” but used more frequently than we would use either of those words. For example, I had an upset stomach last week and was told by one of my team members that it was “likely from that dodgy curry you ate.”

6. “Capsicum” – Everyone likely knows about this one, but it means “peppers.” Like, red capsicum or green capsicum. On the news a few weeks ago, the reporter was discussing how the police had to use “capsicum spray” to hold back the protestors. Thought that was funny.

7. “Bogan” – A redneck. What I find funny, is that the east coast has the perception that all Western Australian’s are bogans. Whenever I mention having lived in Perth, the common response is “Ah, bunch of bogans out there.” My friend Emma says she gets the exact same response from people in Melbourne.

8.“Brisvegas” – Ironic nickname for Brisbane. I think its because, compared to other major Aussie cities, Brisbane is a bit of a bore. Not much nightlight or excitement – hence, Brisvegas.

In terms of other differences, some of the ones I find the most interesting are:

1. The way cheese is classified. At home, we classify cheese as “mild,” “medium,” or “sharp/aged.” The Australians go by degree of “tastiness,” where “Tasty” is medium, and “extra tasty” is sharp. I’m not sure what mild is…. Perhaps “less tasty”??

2.Ketchup – I’m actually convinced it must be a rare commodity here. It must cost them more to import it or something. In the city it’s not bad, but in more rural areas, many places will charge for a package of ketchup. What gets me though, is that when you order fries, they don’t come with anything to dip them in at all. No mayo, no vinegar and no ketchup. Who likes dry fries? Even at Maccas (McDonalds), you have to be persistent. Asking for “ketchup” or “mayo” will get you one little package. You have to specify quantity or you wont get anything.

3.Sushi – I know, I already discussed this in a previous blog, but what the hell is with the cooked food inside the sushi? And why do they serve it as one big (uncut) roll? If I wanted fried chicken in a hand held meal, I would get a sandwich.
Hope you enjoyed today’s Australian lesson.

Comments

  1. Odd about the sushi (both cooked & uncut roll), you'd think it'd be comparable to Vancouver with the proximity to Japan.
    I've heard the Fillet-O-Fish is shark, is that true?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Turkey and Greece

Cape Town

'Merica