Week 5 (Aug 2 - Aug 8)












So I wrote a big blog post on my ipad last night and posted it on a wifi network. At the time, it said "Blog posted", so I closed it and forgot about it, but when I checked today, its not updated and not saved. So im pretty pissed off that now I get to type it out all over again.

So I have 3 weeks left to go. I can't believe how fast the time is going. Im sure these last 3 weeks are going to fly by as well.

This week was a bit of a mess. Tuesday night we all went out for dinner and drinks which was a lot of fun. We had dinner at a steakhouse in the CBD (central business district) and then went to a bar/lounge after for a few more drinks. I really liked the bar we went to; yummy cocktails and a good vibe. We had a bit of fun taking pictures of everyone trying to be creepy in the background of the photos, which turned out pretty well. We got home at a reasonable time, so it was nothing crazy, but a fun night none the less

Wednesday was quiet, but Thursday turned into a big night out. The guys wanted to go to an area of town we had never been called Claremont.... its about 15 minutes from the CBD by train. The guys got wind that all the uni students get dressed up and go out in Claremont on Thursday night, so I think that is why we ended up going there. I was planning on having just a couple of drinks and taking the 10:30pm train home, but a few of the others decided to make it their mission to keep me out by buying me drinks (against my will). Unfortinately I do not do well with turning down free alcohol and the night ended at 2am in a club with an INTENSE fog machine and fries from Hungry Jacks.

Needless to say Friday was a bit of a tough day at work. Friday night we had tickets to the Perth Glory soccer game; Perth's professional team had their 2010 opening night game vs. Queensland. For the first time in the teams history, the game was sold out. The main reason was that in the offseason Perth signed a washed up English player named Robby Fowler (he played for Liverpool and was a reserve on the English national team in the 90's I believe). Despite the fact that he is like 38, the local fans seemed pretty excited that Perth managed to sign a big name.

The game was fun. The fans on the opposite side of the stadium from us were really into it and did a bit of chanting and singing. My favourite chant was sung everytime the Queensland goalkeeper touched the ball. It went as follows:
"You fat bastard, you fat bastard, you fat bastard, you're shit, ahhhhh!"
He didnt look very fat to me (actually looked tall and fit), but funny none the less.

It was an exciting game. Perth was down 2-1 with about 25 minutes to go, but managed to come back and take a 3-2 lead. Then, in injury time, with the 'fat' Queensland goalkeeper out of his net and in the Perth penalty area, Queensland scored on a free kick just outside the box to tie it up. So the Glory were about 1 minute away from a win, but couldnt hold on.

We all walked back to Northbridge after the game and the others went out. I was pretty beat from Thursday night so I went home and had a much needed night in.

Saturday I woke up feeling great and headed down to the CBD to do some shopping. I bought the prettiest sparkly shoes, new Ralph Lauren sunglasses (for only A$100!!!) and some jewerly. I then had a sushi lunch (shitty sushi), and went to Kings park for a walk. The sun was out and it was a beautiful day, so I had a really nice time.

Saturday night we all went to the footy game. The West Coast Eagles vs. the Brisbane Lions in the battle for the wooden spoon (worst team in the league). Going into the game, WCE and Brisbane were the two worst teams.

The game was a lot of fun and I enjoyed it much more than the soccer. I figured, because the teams are shitty, that the stadium would not be too full, but that was wrong.... it was packed. And the crowd was really into it. Cheering and booing everytime any little thing happened. It was a great atmosphere and a lot of fun. Many of the fans brought wooden kitchen spoons and passed them back and forth depending on which team was leading.

In the end, the WCE lost. They were winning with about 2 minutes to go, but managed to blow it after Brisbane got a mark 20 feet from the goal. The fans didnt seem to mind too mucnh; there was a lot of wooden spoon waving.

On sunday we had a relaxing day which was nice. We slept in before heading over to Cottesloe beach (which is about 10 minutes north of Freo by train). The beach was beautiful (like all beaches here), but it was pretty breezy so it was a little cold for sun bathing.

When we arrived there were about 30 pretty buff guys swimming in the ocean in matching swim trunks, which I thought was a little unusual. When I took a closer look I noticed the swim trunks all had the Brisbane Lions logo on them (the footy team we saw the night before), so I figure it must have been the team on a day off going for a swim.... I cant really think of any other good reason why that many guys would be wearing matching swim trunks. Of course I didnt recognize any of the players, so I can be sure.

Thats all for now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turkey and Greece

Cape Town

'Merica