First Impressions of Japan

こんにちは (which I think says konnichi wa)

I am currently on holiday in Japan with my aunt. It is my first time here and over the course of 12 days we will visit Tokyo, Takayama, Kyoto and Hiroshima. While there are some 'sites' to see (temples and museums), it's really the cultural differences, food and vibe of each city that are worth talking about.

So, rather than take a day by day account, I decided my first post will be a summary of some of the more interesting observations thus far (and there have been lots). I find that Im saying "what is that?" about 50 times a day. Everything is just so strange and different; weird and wonderful. So, here are some first observations from Tokyo:

1. Queues - one of the first thing I noticed when I landed was how civil the Japanese are when it comes to getting in line. Not only does everyone form a queue without being prompted, the queues are perfect straight single file line ups and no one dares budge. For example, while coming up a set of 4 escalators at Tokyo station I looked back to find 4 perfectly formed lines, each 30-40 people deep. Imagine, a few hundred people in total, all perfectly obeying these unspoken rules. It kind of made me feel like we were in 1984 and big brother was watching us - it didn't help that 95% of the people in the queues were businessmen in matching black or grey suits.

2. Sizes - I'm a size large in this country. I tried to by a pair of jeans yesterday, but the biggest size they had in stock was a 23 waste. Makes me sick....which (conveniently) is just about the only way I will ever fit into a size 23.

3. Food - I'm in heaven. Gyoza, ramen, sashimi, sushi, tempura, soba...my god!! On Thursday night my aunt's lovely japanese friend took us to monga town, for what can be best described as a Japanese pancake. Bowls of batter, cheese, meat, fish eggs, and vegetables are delivered to your table when you are then left to cook yourself a pancake on the griddle at each table. It was amazing, and the experience was enhanced by the fact that were out of the tourist area and likely the only white people in a 10 block radius. We sat on bamboo mats on the floor and drank plum wine and cooked pancakes; so wicked.

4. Employment - the Japanese have managed to create a profession for even the most simple of tasks. When I arrived at the Tokyo airport, there was someone waiting at the luggage carousel to straighten the bags as they came out. When I went to took an escalator up to my hotel, there was someone at the top with a cloth, cleaning the handrail. When I walked past a parking garage exit, there is a person waiting and eager to direct the 2 cars that come out each hour. It's ludicrous. There is even a guy who stands outside our hotel for at least 10 hours a day with a sign that (we think) says something about the monorail being out of order.....why can't they just attach the sign to a post?

The other funny thing is the uniforms of these workers. If you work outside at all, a hard hat is part of your uniform. If your job involves directing people around, you are fitted with a paramilitary outfit. And in the event of rain, you have a shower cap to be placed over your head wear.

5. Morale - while on the topic of employment, I'm shocked at how happy everyone in this country is at their jobs. They genuinely appear grateful to hold even the most remedial of jobs. It doesn't seem to matter if it's 8 hours of pumping whipped cream into pastry, in a thick chefs jacket, in 35 degree heat, in the middle of a subway station. People are happy and smiley no matter what they do. The exception of this is the business people - who look like they are ready to jump out a window at any given moment.

6. Gloves - some people here have the need to wear white cotton gloves everywhere. Heaven forbid you should pick up an item of clothing in a shop with your bare hands! We saw a taxi driver smoking a cigarette in white gloves; thought that was a bit ironic.

7. The French - the Japanese have a weird obsession with everything French. Everywhere you turn, there is a French bakery, a picture of the Eiffel tower or a macaroon. It's really a bit bizarre....explains the French maid cafes though.

8. Cleanliness - you know when you visit Disneyland, or a Las Vegas hotel and it's made to look like a real place but doesn't really pass because it's just too perfect and clean? That's what Tokyo is like. It's immaculate. At times I feel like I am walking down 'main street USA'

We are in Tokyo for another few nights before heading north. I will write again shortly.

さようなら. (^-^)/


- Siobhan

Location:Tokyo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turkey and Greece

Cape Town

'Merica