New Zealand Part 3 - The west coast

Ok, so after Picton, I got back on the bus and headed to Abel Tasman National park, where I spent two nights. After that it was down to Franz Josef for a few nights (via one night in a town called Blackball), and then to Wanaka for one night before my final stop in Queenstown.

Now, I should start this by saying that I dont camp. I dont like sleeping on the ground, I dont like getting dirty, I dont like being cold and I don't like bugs. But in Abel Tasman, I camped (sort of)!! We stayed at a "hotel" called the barn. There were two options of accommodation type - cabin or tent. Since it was "luxury" camping, with big walk in tents and proper beds, I decided to give it a go. The cabins were pretty much identical, only with walls and for more money, so I roughed it for two nights. It wasn't so bad and I actually really liked the accommodation.

While there, I did a full day sailing trip in the park. Abel Tasman is a large national part on the northwestern corner of the South Island. It has some of the South Island's best beaches, as well as many good hikes. The sailing trip was nice; gorgeous views and a nice clear sunny day but I think it was too long on the boat - I should have done a half day and then hiked back.

One morning while we were staying in the park I went hang gliding in a nearby town. It wasn't too expensive, so I thought I would give it a try. I loved it. It's not as high intensity as skydiving or bungy, but it was really fun. The cool thing about this place, was that rather than jump off a mountain, the company had a little plane that pulls you up. So, you get a bit of a glider ride up about 2,500 feet and then get released and glide down. It was just so much fun. I asked him to scare me as best as he could, and he did lots of dives and spins. Felt a lot like being on a rollercoaster - left my stomach behind a few times. Of course, the problem with going for big drops, is that the ride is over much quicker.

The drive from Abel Tasman to Franz Josef is quite long by bus. There is a town called Greymouth in the middle, but apparently it's a real hole. So instead we stayed at a really quirky town called "Blackball". I really like quirky places. Firstly, the hotel we stayed at was over 100 years old. It was called "Formerly the Blackball Hilton Hotel". The hotel was originally named the Blackball Hilton, until 20 years ago the Hilton chain came along and told them they had to change the name. So now it's 'formerly.' It was a really odd hotel, covered with historic pictures and random useless objects, but it was clean and had good food. Also, the bar was the place to be, and a bunch of interesting locals joined us at drinks.

The town itself has a population now of about 300, but in its heyday in the 1920s as a coal mining town, there was about 1,200 people. I found all the history surrounding the coal mine pretty interesting - I think the conditions at the mines today are tough but this was a whole other level. One thing I read said that there was no bathhouse at the mine until 1931. Until then the workers had to walk home dirty, and many didn't have bathing facilities at their homes either. The mine became uneconomic in the 1960s and it was closed, but there still is an operating mine in the area. The old mine managers house (now turned community center) has some old mining equipment; the most interesting of which was the old self rescuers which looked like fire extinguishers in suitcases.

Blackball is also famous (apparently) for its salami. I picked some up from the local butcher, and it was really nice. However, there has been a change in ownership recently after the last butcher murdered his wife 3 years ago and chopped her up with a butchers knife. Rumor was that he put her in the salami. He then proceeded to go down to the pub at the Hilton and tell someone at the bar what he did. Needless to say he is in jail now. Normally, that kind of thing wouldn't be the best for business...but in Blackball no one seems to mind. The shop is still really popular.

After Blackball, I spent 2 nights in the little town of Franz Josef. The main reason to stay here is the mountains - there is a glacier that you can hike which is only accessible by helicopter and I had heard that it is a must do while in NZ. Of course, the weather wouldn't co-operate and the trip kept being postponed. First it was 8am, then 10am then noon and then the next morning. So I had an extremely boring day bumming around Franz Josef. The town is literally 2 streets with 3 or 4 restaurants, 3 stores, a grocery store and travel agencies. After going for a short run (there was no where to run to) and walking around the town 4 times, I succumb to boredom and went for a massage.

The next morning the clouds parted and I went for the heli-hike. It was awesome - definitely worth waiting around Franz Josef for. They took us up to the glacier in a helicopter, which took about 10 minutes. They then drop us with a guide (mine happened to be extremely good looking) and he lead us around the glacier for a few hours. We went through lots of narrow passages and crevices in the ice, which was pretty cool. After the hike, we got back in the chopper and they took us down. I loved the helicopter ride - my first time in one.

I was just in Wanaka for 1 night and we arrived late. We got drunk by the lake and I was too hungover in the morning to check out "puzzle world" which is nearby and I was disappointed to miss (I know...I'm a loser).

On the way back to Queenstown, the bus stopped at the bridge bungy just outside of town. Since we got a deal and since it was the worlds first bungy jump, I decided to do it. There is the option to touch the water under the bridge, or get dunked in, but the river was too low and I wasn't heavy enough to reach it (which is hard to believe given the amount I have eaten and drank on this trip). It was a lot of fun, and it sorted the hangover right out but, but the first one I did was so much better.

I'm in Queenstown now, hungover again (4 days in a row now? Or is it 5?). I am heading back to Vancouver tomorrow and am looking forward to getting home and seeing everyone. So, that's it for New Zealand. I loved it and would highly recommend it to anyone

Cheers

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turkey and Greece

Cape Town

'Merica