Week 3 (July 19 - July 25)

So this week was an interesting one, and not always in a good way.

Firstly, our long awaited 7th secondee (Bart-Jan) finally arrived from the Netherlands on monday night. He fit into the group right away and has been keen to go out and party and do activities. Before he arrived we were all speculating as to what he was going to be like. For some reason every speculation we had turned into into an extreme; for example one guess was that he was going to be a huge accounting nerd who brought the Australian IFRS standards with him on the plane to study. Another guess involved him picking up girls at the airport and bringing them home. Fortunately we were wrong.

We all went out on wednesday to Northbridge and went for Mexican food. The food itself was not the best Mexican I have ever had, but the prices were reasonable and it was cheap cocktail night. We stopped at the brass monkey pub down the street for a drink on the way home. Over all a fun night, but nothing crazy.

That night I was up sick a few times during the night. At first I thought it must be from the couple of drinks that i had, but then It started getting worse and worse and it didn't feel booze related. I ended up going to work for a few hours in the morning, but i was too sick. I was home by 11. I don't know if it was the Mexican food or my lunch from earlier that day but I'm pretty sure it was food poisoning. As soon as I took the antibiotics I had left over from Egypt (for food poisoning) i felt better.

So I woke up friday feeling alright. It was the annual year end firm wide meeting on friday afternoon so at 4pm everyone went to the conference centre across the street from the office to hear about how the firm is doing (and all that crap). There was a fantastic turnout and there is a good reason why. Free food and drinks after!!!! As you can guess it turned into a bit of a mess again.

We went to a bar we haven't gone to yet called tiger lilies which was fun. We were all having a really good time but then my night started going down hill. First, I was sitting at a table and someone walked by and knocked my entire drink off the table and on to me. Luckily I was just drinking clear fluids, but I was still not impressed to be soaking wet. So then a few of us wanted to get food (the Aussies don't seem to believe in dinner on friday nights) so we left the bar and went across the street to somewhere called fast eddies. It was fine, but when we got back to the bar, there was a huge line to get back in. We were standing behind a velvet rope waiting and I decided to step out for a second and see if the front of the line was moving. As I was stepping over the velvet rope my heel got caught and I fell. Pretty hard. So that was embarrassing and my hands were all cut up but no big deal. What did get me worked up was that the stupid asshole bouncer came over and told me that since I had got out of line (for 2 seconds) I wasn't allowed back in line and I had to go to the back. As you can imagine, this did not go over well with me, and we all ended up deciding to go elsewhere.

So we are walking down the street and I was angry. My hands and knees were starting to hurt from the fall and I'm super annoyed with the bouncer. I guess I wasn't paying attention and was all frazzled and as I was crossing the street my heel once again got caught in a large cracking the side walk stones and, for the second time in 15 minutes, I fell. Only this time my reflexes were not as good and I didn't even try to break the fall with my hands; I fell right on my face. Sort of funny now, but not funny at all at the time. It really hurt (my chin is all bruised) and I was so angry with myself and so embarrassed. After that I was not super interested in partying much any more, so I left with a few of the girls at 1ish. The rest stayed out until 3, except for emma who turned up at home at 6:15am. Given that the clubs close at 3 and that Jeff and Bart were home around then, I'm not really sure what Emma was doing between 3 and 6. She has no memory, except that a kabob shop and a buck hunting arcade game were involved.

So we slept in satuday. I went for breakfast before we met the other girls downtown for some lunch and shopping. I didn't buy anything but i saw a few things I think I will go back for. Both Emma and Brandy bought cute shoes.... I think I want to go back and get the ones Brandy got.

The plan was to then go to the boys' house for a few drinks and then go to the footy game, but we could not get tickets. Despite the fact that the WCE are one of the worst teams in the league this year, and that a lot of the seats are empty, most seats are apparently held by season ticket holders so it's hard to get tickets to just one game. We are going to be more organized next time. I am going to call on monday and try to get tickets for a few weeks from now. We all really want to go see footy. It's so big here! It's like hockey In Canada.

Saturday night was a quiet night for most of us. Emma, Bart and Sarah went out again. I wasn't too hung over so I felt fine to go out, but since we had a surfing lesson booked for Sunday morning I decided that would take it easy. Emma and Bart definitely suffered a bit at surfing today (Sarah didn't surf so she was able to sleep in)

So today was surfing. We were up early as the lesson started at 8:30 in a suburb about 20 minutes from here by taxi. When we first got there the air temperature was freezing and I was having some serious doubts about getting in the water. But then once we had the wet suits on and discovered the water was 19 degrees (!!!!!) it was fine. The water was actually quite lovely. It was much warmer to be in the water than on the beach with the wind. We got a good day today weather wise. It's 22 and sunny. Not a cloud in the sky. I'm sitting on my patio deck right now in the sun.

Surfing was fun. This is the 3rd or 4th time I have done an "intro to surfing" course, but I think today was the toughest I have ever found it. I'm not sure if it because I'm a few years older than the last time i went or if it was because the water we were in today had a very very strong current, but it was a challenge. I found the toughest part today to be fighting the waves and current to get out far enough to catch a wave and ride back. I managed to stand, but didn't have the same success as i have before; when I did get up my timing would be off or I wouldn't be able to stay up for long. Jeff was the best of all of us; he got standing numerous times. Over all a fun thing to do and I'm glad we went.

Not sure what i am going to do with the rest of the day (it's only 3pm). It's so nice out. Might go for a walk in a bit.

- Siobhan

Location:Perth

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turkey and Greece

Cape Town

'Merica